Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Out of My Head and Onto My Couch

I finished the quilt that I talked about here.  I'm very pleased with how it came out.  Not just very pretty, but also the way I was able to take a concept in my head and turn it into a real object that is both useful and pleasing to look at.

The 'snowflakes' quilt now resides on the back of my couch, until winter is far enough over that I put it away for a few months and place a lighter throw on the couch for the warm months of the year.

Here are a few photos of the quilt.


The top, before sandwiching and quilting.
Unfortunately, the camera did no justice to the fabric colors.


I fell in love with the backing fabric;
it is the only part of the quilt that was a new purchase.


Quilted and bound: a finished quilt.
These are the true colors.


Out of my head and onto my couch!

For the quilting, I decided to just do wavy lines (kind of like the pattern of windblown snowdrifts)  spaced roughly  3-4 inches apart on the rows of blocks.  I wanted it to be something fairly quiet and not take away from the designs in the blocks themselves.  For the setting and corner triangles, however, I wanted something very bold and noticeable, that would further invoke the feeling of snowy weather.  So I went with spirals, which worked out very well and were really fun to make.

snowdrifts

spirals



No comments:

Post a Comment