This is DH's mount of his elk skull and antlers from when he went elk hunting in Colorado in 2023.
He had, for a couple of years, tried to find an existing way (as in a kit or parts he could buy) to mount this (cut) skull rather than just sawing off the upper portion of it that holds the antlers. Part of the problem was the angle at which the skull had been cut, by the place he took the head to for cleaning and removal of brain tissue and spinal matter so that he could transport the skull back home across state lines. Cut how it was, it would not fit properly on the kits or hangers sold for mounting deer skulls.
Eventually, he engineered a way to do it on his own, involving resin epoxy, a small piece of wood cut to fit inside the tiny rounded cavity on the underside of the upper part of the skull, a screw, and a scrap board. As you can see from the photo above, it worked, and the elk skull hangs on our wall.
In the photo below, you can see better just where on the wall it was installed. To the right is the mule deer that DH shot in Colorado in 2022. He mounted it similarly to the elk skull, a few weeks after trying out his mounting system.
So here's where the not funny, but it kinda was part comes in.
In that photo, you can see part of our television. In this photo (please ignore the grandkid related toy and seating clutter), you can see the heights and location of everything.
When DH put his skulls with antlers on the wall last winter, I expressed concern about the antlers sticking out and being low enough someone might walk into them and poke an eye out. Especially the elk antlers. DH, as men do, pooh-poohed my concern, saying it was fine and they were high enough, and besides, no adults walk that close to the wall anyway.
Well. . . Can you tell where this story is going?
Recently, DH poked himself in the forehead with the lower tines of the elk antlers. He was concentrating on why is the station playing the football game not coming in?!?, walked over to the tv, went to reach behind it to fiddle with the wiring and whacked his head into the elk antlers rather forcefully. Hard enough to break the skin and draw blood.
I confess, even as I was momentarily afraid he had poked his eye out, I couldn't help laughing. In an uncontrollable and gut busting manner. Because, you know, I told him so.
But of course I couldn't say that. I properly expressed my concern for his well being, as well as examined and cleaned his head injury. Even if I did have spurts of giggles while doing so.



Think of it as retribution from the elk, too, ha ha. Glad it didn't get his eyeball. (:
ReplyDelete